Thursday, August 23, 2012

Did I Chuck the Chucking?

How much stuff could an Em-Chuck chuck if an Em-Chuck could chuck stuff?  I did not keep up my daily blogs, but I am here now to tell you that is a GOOD thing, because the decluttering took on a life of its own.

It started off as a minimum of one item per day, and after about 4 days, it had gathered momentum.  One night I'm chucking before bed and then I find myself chucking again before I leave for work in the morning.  The whole family started chucking.  My husband was a gleeful chucking fool (he's been wanting to clear out for awhile-- I'm the packrat). 

Letting go and creating space became so satisfying that it even became more appealing than sitting on my butt blogging.  In fact, the only reason I'm blogging right now is because I am stuck at a computer away from home (where I could be chucking).

But wait!  There's more!  A free set of ginsu knives!  (that's the mindset that got me into this mess) There is more, though.  My 9-year-old was my fashion consultant and helped me go through all of my clothes.  She handed me the next item to try on and recorded flung items on itsdeductible.com.  She received, from me, a skirt that I bought in Provence half my life ago.  It's way too big for her, but it's colorful and it flares and it blesses her.  When it was mine, everytime I saw it, I thought
  1. I wish I were slender enough to wear this
  2. I was happy then and I'm not now (not necessarily true, but comparing my daily life now to a summer in France can throw your perspective off)
  3. I should make this into something I can use (obligation- the dreaded SHOULD)
  4. I have to learn some sewing skills for #3 (tasking myself, downplaying the skills I do have) 
  5. I don't have time for #4 (scarcity mentality)
  6. I should get rid of this
  7. I can't get rid of this because I would be throwing away happiness associated with it
I know what you're thinking.  Seriously?  You thought all of this every time you saw this skirt?  YES.  Pretty much.  Every time.  I think fast and my brain is used to running these same grooves over and over again.  Multiply that times every unused object and unfinished project in my house.  It is abusive.  That is what I am finally chucking!

No comments:

Post a Comment